1. Verify that battery is fully charged.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and verify that the ABS warning light goes out after approx. 3 s.
3. Turn the ignition switch off.
4. Jack up the vehicle and support it evenly on safety stands.
5. Shift to neutral.
6. Release the parking brake.
7. Verify that all four wheels rotate.
8. Rotate the wheels by hand, and verify there is no brake drag.
If there is any brake drag, perform regular brake inspection.
If there is no brake drag, perform ABS HU/CM operation inspection.
1. Perform “Preparation”.
2. Connect the M-MDS to the DLC-2.
3. Set up an active command mode inspection according to the combination of commands below.
Command transmission type
Brake pressure retention
Brake pressure reduction
The chart above shows an example of a right front wheel inspection.
To protect the ABS HU/CM, the solenoid valve and the pump motor used during active command mode stay on for only 10 s or less each time they are switched on.
When working with two people, one should press on the brake pedal, and the other should attempt to rotate the wheel being inspected.
4. Send the command while depressing the brake pedal and attempting to rotate the wheel being inspected.
5. Performing the inspection above determines the following:
The ABS HU/CM brake lines are normal.
The ABS HU/CM hydraulic system is not significantly abnormal (including inside ABS HU/CM).
The ABS HU/CM internal electrical parts (solenoid, motor and other parts) are normal.
The ABS HU/CM output system wiring harnesses (solenoid valve, relay system) are normal.
However, the following items cannot be verified.
Malfunction of ABS HU/CM input system wiring harnesses and parts
Extremely small leaks in the ABS HU/CM internal hydraulic system
Malfunction with intermittent occurrence of the above items