Handling the seat belt (pre-tensioner seat belt) improperly can accidentally deploy the pre-tensioner seat belt, which may seriously injure you. Read the air bag system service warnings and cautions before handling the seat belt. (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE WARNINGS.) (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE CAUTIONS.)
The ELR (emergency locking retractor) has a spring that will unwind if the retractor cover is removed. The spring cannot be rewound by hand. If this occurs, the ELR will not work properly. Therefore, do not disassemble the retractor.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
2. Remove the battery cover.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait for 1 min or more. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
4. Remove the following parts:a. Console (See CONSOLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)b. Quarter trim (See QUARTER TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)c. Scuff plate (See SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)d. Tire house trim (See TIRE HOUSE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)e. Aeroboard (See AEROBOARD REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)f. Front seat back bar garnish (See SEAT BACK BAR GARNISH REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)g. Back trim (See BACK TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)h. Anchor cover (passenger’s seat) (See SEAT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
5. Using a screwdriver, pry out the pre-tensioner seat belt connector stopper plate.
6. Disconnect the pre-tensioner seat belt connector.
7. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
8. Install in the reverse order of removal.
9. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
10. Verify that the air bag system warning light illuminates for approx. 6 s and goes out.
If the air bag system warning light dose not operate, refer to the on-board diagnostic system (air bag system) and perform inspection of the system.