Handling the side air bag sensor improperly can accidentally operate (deploy) the air bag module, which may seriously injure you. Read the air bag system service warnings and cautions before handling the side air bag sensor. (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE WARNINGS.) (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE CAUTIONS.)
1. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
2. Remove the battery cover.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait for 1 min or more. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
4. Remove the quarter trim. (See QUARTER TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
5. Remove the scuff plate. (See SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
6. Remove the tire house trim. (See TIRE HOUSE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
7. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
Side air bag sensor
8. Install in the reverse order of removal.
9. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and hold for 5 s or more.
10. Verify that the air bag system warning light illuminates for approx. 6 s and goes out.
If the air bag system warning light does not operate normally, refer to the on-board diagnostic system (air bag system) and perform inspection of the system.