Handling the crash zone sensor improperly can accidentally deploy the air bags and pre-tensioner seat belts, which may seriously injure you. Read the air bag system service warnings and cautions before handling the crash zone sensor. (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE WARNINGS.) (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE CAUTIONS.)
1. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
2. Remove the battery cover.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait for 1 min or more. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
4. Remove the front bumper. (See FRONT BUMPER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
5. Remove the fresh-air duct. (See INTAKE-AIR SYSTEM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
6. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
Crash zone sensor
7. Install in the reverse order of removal.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
9. Verify that the air bag system warning light illuminates for approx. 6 s and goes out.
If the air bag system warning light does not operate normally, refer to the on-board diagnostic system (air bag system) and perform inspection of the system.