Remove and install all parts when the engine is cold, otherwise they can cause severe burns or serious injury.
When the battery cables are connected, touching the vehicle body with starter terminal B will generate sparks. This can cause personal injury, fire, and damage to the electrical components. Always disconnect the negative battery cable before performing the following operation.
1. Remove the battery cover.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
3. Remove the side cover. (LH)
4. Remove the under cover. (MT) (See TRANSVERSE MEMBER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
5. Remove the clutch release cylinder with the pipes still connected. Position the clutch release cylinder so that it is out of the way. (MT) (See TRANSMISSION REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [M15M-D].) (See TRANSMISSION REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [P66M-D].)
6. Remove the oil filter. (Vehicles with oil cooler) (See OIL FILTER REPLACEMENT [LF].)
7. Remove the oil cooler and oil filter adapter component with the water hoses still connected. Position the oil cooler and oil filter adapter component so that it is out of the way. (Vehicles with oil cooler) (See OIL COOLER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
8. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
9. Install in the reverse order of removal.
10. Inspect the oil level. (Vehicles with oil cooler) (See ENGINE OIL LEVEL INSPECTION [LF].)
Terminal B cable
Terminal S connector
Wiring harness and bracket
(See Starter Installation Note.)
1. Peel off the insulator from the starter completely using a scraper.
2. Degrease the insulator attachment area.
3. Attach a new insulator to the starter.