Never remove the cooling system cap or loosen the radiator drain plug while the engine is running, or when the engine and radiator are hot. Scalding engine coolant and steam may shoot out and cause serious injury. It may also damage the engine and cooling system.
Turn off the engine and wait until it is cool. Even then, be very careful when removing the cap. Wrap a thick cloth around it and slowly turn it counterclockwise to the first stop. Step back while the pressure escapes.
When you are sure all the pressure is gone, press down on the cap using the cloth, turn it, and remove it.
1. Remove the battery cover.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
3. Drain the engine coolant. (See ENGINE COOLANT REPLACEMENT [LF].)
4. Remove the air cleaner. (See INTAKE-AIR SYSTEM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
5. Loosen the water pump pulley bolt and remove the drive belt. (See DRIVE BELT REPLACEMENT [LF].)
6. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
7. Install in the reverse order of removal.
8. Refill the engine coolant. (See ENGINE COOLANT REPLACEMENT [LF].)
9. Inspect for engine coolant leakage. (See ENGINE COOLANT LEAKAGE INSPECTION [LF].)
Water pump pulley