A hot engine and exhaust system can cause severe burns. Turn off the engine and wait until they are cool before servicing the exhaust system.
1. Remove the battery cover.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
3. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
4. Install in the reverse order of removal.
Member bracket (MT)
(See Seal Ring Removal Note.)
(See Seal Ring Installation Note.)
Exhaust manifold insulator (upper)
Exhaust manifold insulator (lower)
Exhaust manifold bracket
1. Remove the seal ring using a flathead screwdriver being careful not to damage the pipe.
1. Remove the battery and battery tray. (See BATTERY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
2. Remove the drive belt. (See DRIVE BELT REPLACEMENT [LF].)
3. Remove the under cover. (See TRANSVERSE MEMBER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
4. Remove the suspension tower bar (joint) and (right side). (See FRONT SUSPENSION TOWER BAR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
5. Remove the generator. (See GENERATOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
6. Remove the insulator.
1. Disconnect the front HO2S connector and rear HO2S connector.
2. Move the water pipe and heater hose slightly out of the way.
3. Disconnect the ventilation hose from the cylinder head. (See QUICK RELEASE CONNECTOR (EMISSION SYSTEM) REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [LF].)
If installation is performed without using the SST, the seal ring will be damaged and deformed, resulting in an incorrect installation. Always use the SST to install the seal ring.
1. Temporarily install the seal ring to the pipe so that the seal ring is even with the flange.
2. Install the SST to the seal ring so that the SST is even with the flange.
3. Press in the seal ring by tapping the SST using a plastic hammer until the seal ring contacts the flange.